For Uni we have an assignment for our Performance Lighting Design module where we are to create a design for a theoretical concert on a stage in a place. We have been given two songs to light and have to come up with the full lighting design for those two songs. Using CAST Software’s lighting visualisation software WYSIWYG. Click More to read the rest of the post:

We have been given a Compulite Vector Ultraviolet to program with. This week myself and another student have worked on getting the Green Hippo Hippotizer Media Server talking to both the Vector and WYSIWYG.

The Vector took a few attempts to connect to WYSIWYG over ArtNet due to the Vector always using a Class A IP address (Subnet mask of 255.0.0.0) whereas the router with the DHCP server was sending a Class C IP address (Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) to the WYSIWYG computer so both the ArtNet components that are installed were not picking up this broadcast as they don’t listen to broadcasts on 192.255.255.255 they were only listening to 192.168.1.255.

So that got the Vector talking to WYSIWYG. Next was to get it to control the Hippo. This was very simple to get control of it. The issues we had were getting thumbnails of the media. Although it is not necessary to get thumbnails it makes it a darn site easier to program. We restarted the Hippo a couple of times and started and stopped the HMap2 component several times and finally got it working showing all the clips.

The biggest issue we had was getting content from the Hippo to play in WYSIWYG. We knew there was a CITP stream function on both, but this was troublesome as we found out very quickly. The first being that the current Hippo V3 software has some issues running both HMap2 and CITP which for what we were doing needed both on. These would both work eventually together if you kept changing the identifier field to another value on the HMap2 settings. We found, however, that WYSIWYG took quite a while to first connect to the Hippo via CITP. Although the connection was made as soon as the video source was added, WYG did not show anything for another at least 2 minutes. When it did the refresh rate was around every 30 seconds. After some support emails from Green Hippo we changed a few settings. We still had the delay of the first image showing up, but the refresh rate had improved to about once ever 5 seconds which for what we wanted to do with it was not going to work. Also the way we were able to get the master output out of the hippo through CITP was by sacrificing one of the layers as a duplicate of the master out, meaning only 7 layers of video would be available to use.

What we have now got in place to get it working is the Hippo running in Clone mode so I can have a projector output to see whats going on, whilst sending the cloned image to a TV One scan converter to go from an RGBHV computer image to an analogue PAL Composite image. This PAL image got fed into a DV Deck which has a firewire out. We connected the DV Deck to the WYSIWYG computer via firewire and now have full streaming images from Hippo in WYSIWYG.

For this assignment I next need to actually make my lighting design in WYSIWYG and then start programming.